Qualification Required

To work in Italy, a UK instructor has 2 options: 

  • A BASI Level 2 Instructor can work for a limited time for an official ski school. A verdict from the court of Trento, (Sent. N. 587/04 19/05/2004) published 05/07/2004, established that a ski instructor with a qualified licence, issued by a federation of a European Community country, can legally work according to the Italian regional rules in some provinces, for up to 15 days in one season, but this time can be different in other regions. You must confirm with the Collegio Regionale who you are working for and where. 
  • To work for a ski school, or work with private clients, for the season, an instructor must have BASI Level 4 ISTD Qualification, (Formally Grade 1) and apply to the Collegio Regionale for authorisation. 
  • For the Trentino region, we have been informed that Members with a BASI Level 3 ISIA Qualficaiton (Formally Grade 2) can work for a Ski School or with private clients for the season on condition that they apply to the Collegio Regionale for authorisation. 

Other Information

As Italy is a member of the EU, work permits are not required.

Gaining Equivalence

For those members who have been issued an MoU stamp, you can apply for equivalence to the Maestro di Sci Italiano by completing this form. In addition to completing the form, you're required to provide evidence that you've paid the €32 stamp duty. This duty is for those who do not have residency status in Italy.  To be able to complete the form you will need to have competence in the Italian language. Once you have completed the form there is an option to scan this along with all associated documents required and send to the email address at the top of the form.